REPRESENTING AND ADVISING LAW FIRMS, BAR ASSOCIATIONS, GOVERNMENTS, CORPORATIONS AND NGO'S
• Vietnam - Analyzed proposed new foreign investment law and proposed new commercial code for Vietnam on behalf of United Nations Development Program – 2005.
• Bhutan – Analyzed proposed new contract law for Kingdom of Bhutan – 2006.
• Africa – legal and constitutional - SSATP (Sub-Saharan Africa Transport Policy Forum Annual Meeting; Speaker re legal analysis of establishment of road funds and road agencies, Bamako, Mali - November 2005.
• Africa legal and constitutional – Retained by World Bank to conduct in-depth legal and institutional analysis of legal and constitutional provisions in all 45 sub-Saharan Anglophone, Francophone and Lusophone countries, determine and recommend best legal practices relative to road agencies and road funds; in-depth visits to, and analyses of Tanzania and Cote d’Ivoire – 2005-2006.
• Africa corporate – Projet de Reglement Interieur de l’AFERA (ARMFA). Retained by the World Bank to analyze the laws of member countries of AFERA (Africa Road Maintenance Funds Association) in English and French, and assist with the re-establishment of the transnational association. Work included substantial re-drafting of bylaws for bilingual and different legal system conformity; and included corporate legal advice regarding processes for meetings and proper legal status and documentation - 2004.
• Legislative drafting – in the role of expert, managed the drafting of proposed uniform code of investment for Francophone and Anglophone West Africa, working in English and French and with lawyers, business and political representatives of ECOWAS and OHADA countries, including Nigeria, Ghana, Cameroun, Senegal, Cote d’Ivoire, Mali, Benin. The March, 2001 project was organized by the Commercial Law Development Program of the US Department of Commerce, and had additional sessions in Accra in 2002-2003, with a final presentation in December, 2003 in Dakar.
• Legislative and regulatory analysis and legal reform - reviewed issues for major telecom managed project: proposal of new laws, decrees and regulations, corporate re-structuring, interface with administrators, businesspersons, ministers, banks and World Bank executives; extensive contacts with international donor agencies - Madagascar telecommunications project 1994-96 – numerous meetings and consultations with World Bank legal staff regarding general and specific legal reform issues in Russia, Central and Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America and Middle East, 1992-1998.
• Africa; foreign Investment – Review of railway concession agreement and related national foreign investment laws and corporate and commercial statutes, including OHADA provisions concerned with multi-country railway concession project: Cote d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso and Cameroun railways with South African, Belgian, French and Irish participation - 1999.
• Telecommunications - managed and directed legal aspects of telecommunications sector restructuring and privatization for Madagascar in World Bank-financed project - French; 1998 - reviewed African statutory and regulatory provisions for world-wide satellite communications project. paper presented in Marrakech, Morocco at UIA Annual Congress: “Telecommunications Privatisation”, 1994; Madagascar - responsible for legal aspects of telecommunications sector privatization, 1994-96.
• Energy - represented major international US oil company (Mobil Oil) with corporate matters and agreements in French Africa: Mali, Madagascar, Tchad, Congo, Senegal, Cote d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Benin, Togo.
• Privatization - consultations with Czech government officials regarding privatization of financial services sector, 1992 – selected by Government of Cote d’Ivoire to intervene as privatization expert at international conference on foreign investment, Abidjan 1995 – advised and assisted St. Petersburg, Russia stock exchange in privatization and restructuring, analyzed existing CIS, Russian and St. Petersburg legislation, 1990 – advised and assisted with negotiations relative to Polish private sector, nation-wide acquisition of Government-owned, gasoline and petroleum products wholesale and retail distribution operations, 1993 – analyzed legal framework in Poland, met with government officials and prepared documentation relative to organization and assistance of private-sector US company, with national privatization program relative to environmental treatment and fertilizer production in Poland using US composting technology – represented US insurance company relative to proposed privatization of Polish insurance companies – advised local and US promoters relative to conversion of government-owned castle into resort hotel complex.